Fanwave.it
Fanwave.it

Diabetes, the cure looks less remote

Diabetes

Diabetes is an insidious disease, which manifests itself in different shapes and forms. Diabetes Mellitus, for example, can be of Type 1 and then derives from autoimmune destruction of beta cells in the pancreas that produce insulin, resulting in increase of glucose in the blood and urine, and occurs from childhood. If it is of Type 2 is a metabolic disorder that can manifest itself even in old age and is characterized by an excess of glucose in the context of insulin resistance and relative lack of insulin.

Diabetes Type 2 makes about 90% of cases (in this case obesity is thought to be the primary cause), the other 10% is due to Diabets Type 1 or gestational type; in all cases it is a chronic disease involves a series of sufferings and difficulties for those who suffer of this disorder, in addition to present late complications such as neuropathy, retinopathy and nephropathy. Dizziness, loss of balance, the need for daily checks of blood glucose levels, a very strict diet, dependence on insulin delivery are just some of the discomfort that patients suffering from Diabetes Mellitus have to endure, without hope, for now, a definitive cure.

Diabetes
Blood glucose monitoring

A burdensome situation economically speaking, but also a situation that can trigger appetites by large pharmaceutical companies. This seems very important for the study of the Ifc-Cnr and the University of Texas recently published in the journal Diabetes, which shows that taking exenatide (a drug that produces effects similar to those of the intestinal hormone “glucagon like peptide-1” or Glp-1) in the prediabetic increases not only insulin metabolism, but also the one of the brain areas involved in the control mechanisms of hunger and satiety, regulating the appetite response.

Diabetes
Amalia Gastaldelli PhD, Pisa Italy

“The work - says Amalia Gastaldelli of Institute of Clinical Physiology of the National Research Council (Ifc-Cnr) in Pisa - demonstrates how in humans, already after a single administration of this synthetic hormone, there is an improvement of glucose metabolism both cerebral and systemic “.It has in fact observed “that in the two hours after taking sugar single administration of exenatide increases, compared to placebo, even the metabolism of the brain areas involved in the mechanisms of control of hunger and satiety and in areas delegated to the system of satisfaction from food”.

In essence, the drug increases the response of these areas, while “turn off” those of appetite (the hypothalamus), explaining at least in part, the mechanisms already known through which patients using analogues of Glp-1 lose weight. It’s the confirmation of the role that the brain has in the onset of Diabetes Mellitus and obesity: “The brain regulates both the impulse of hunger both the way in which the food is metabolized. The results of our research show a decisive role of the hormone Gpl-1 and in this way opens up new scenarios in the fight against these disorders” ends Gastaldelli.

Hope important, because it could mean that there is a way to treat Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 connected to cases of obesity. We can only hope that the right to health of patients is not once again subordinated to the interests of the pharmaceutical companies, appeared on more than once too concerned of their profits rather than of the advancement of medicine and the search for effective and permanent treatments against common chronic diseases, such as the Diabetes Mellitus.

Tags: Sciences, Health